JQI Postdoctoral Fellow
Joint Quantum Institute call for JQI Postdoctoral Fellow applicants
The recently inaugurated Joint Quantum Institute (JQI, www://jqi.umd.edu) formed between the University of Maryland (UMD), and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is seeking exceptional candidates for JQI Postdoctoral Fellows.
The objectives of the JQI are to:
- Develop a world-class research institute that will build the scientific foundation for understanding coherent quantum phenomena, taking advantage of quantum coherence and entanglement for the control and engineering of complex quantum systems;
- Establish a unique, interdisciplinary center for the interchange of ideas among atomic, condensed matter, and quantum information scientists.
- Maintain and enhance the United States’ leading role in high technology through the creation of a powerful collaboration between NIST and UM;
The core of JQI comprises of about two dozen fellows from UMD and NIST with research expertise in three disciplines that are expected to form the basis of future quantum technology and metrology:
- Atomic, molecular, and optical physics, e.g. ultra-cold atomic gases, cavity quantum electrodynamics, matter wave optics, quantum optics and photonics, degenerate gases, optical lattices; and
- Condensed matter physics, e.g. quantum confined systems, quantum optics and nanophotonics, mesoscopics, superconductivity, spintronics; and
- Quantum information science, e.g. quantum measurement theory, quantum computation, quantum communication.
JQI Postdoctoral Fellows are expected to work in close collaboration with one or more JQI fellows. The term of appointment is 2 years at a salary of $55,700/ year plus benefits. Interested experimentalists or theoreticians with working experience in these areas are invited to apply. The JQI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and applications from women and minorities are encouraged.
Please send a copy of your CV and publication list, a description of your proposed research (in pdf format) to email@example.com. In addition, please arrange to have three letters of reference sent to the same address. The application deadline is December 1, 2007.
If you are a prospective graduate student, the JQI also offers a prestigious JQI graduate fellowship. Please consult the JQI webpage for details.