BEC emerges from the desertBack to News
Authors and contributors:
Figure 1: In-trap phase-contrast images and false-color plots of Rb-87 atoms undergoing Bose-Einstein condensation in a ~7.4 Hz (radial) by ~14.1 Hz (axial) TOP trap. Atom number in the BEC image is ~106.
- Atom: Rb87, |F=1, mF = -1>
- Trap: standard TOP trap (dB/dz=300G/cm, Bbias_final=5G)
- Method: 2 chamber, magnetic transfer from MOT cell to science cell
- Evaporative cooling: 60 seconds, RF + circle-of-death forced evaporation
- Condensate atom number: ~105 atoms on first observation, optimized to 10^6
- Critical temperature: ~200 nK on first observation
Figure 2: The UA BEC team. Seated in front, L-to-R: Tyler Neely, Chad Weiler. Standing, L-to-R: David Scherer, Brian Anderson.
Posted: 07 Jul 2006 Date: 23 Sep 2005