Les Houches predoc school on 'Cold atoms and quantum transport'
02 Oct 2017 - 23 Oct 2017
Les Houches, France
The pre-doctoral school consists in a two week master course on the physics of cold atoms and the recent advances in this field.
The course is targeted at the advanced undergraduate level and emphasizes formal lectures building on textbook knowledge. This goal meets the requirements of the Les Houches pre-doctoral school program. The school is intended primarily for PhD students in their first or second year. Undergraduates at the European Masters level who are planning a PhD study are also invited to apply. Young post-docs entering the field can also apply.
The lectures will be given (in English) by
- Tilman Esslinger (1 lecture) Overview on quantum transport with cold atoms
- Philippe Verkerk (3 lectures) Light-Matter Interaction / Laser Cooling and Trapping
- Jook Walraven (5 lectures) Quantum gases - elastic interactions
- Mischa Baranov (4 lectures) Degenerate gases
- Hélène Perrin (2 lectures) Optical lattices
- Dominique Delande (5 lectures) Transport in disordered media
- Jean-Philippe Brantut (4 lectures) Transport phenomena with ultracold atomic fermions
- Dana Anderson (3 lectures) Transport phenomena with ultracold atomic bosons. Atomtronics
- Gilles Montambaux (3 lectures) Mesoscopic physics
- Michael Köhl (3 lectures) Transport in optical lattices
The deadline for applications is June 30th. The selection of the applicants will be done at the beginning of July. The price for board and lodging in Les Houches is very low to facilitate the venue of young students (650 Euros for students in the first two years of PhD and 880 for the others). We have a few grants to pay for board and lodging (no travel expenses can be covered). Applications arriving after June 30th may be considered, if the number of participants remains reasonable. However no grant will be attributed to students applying after the deadline.
The organizing committee:
Fabrice Gerbier, Hélène Perrin, Philippe Verkerk and Jook Walraven
For more information, visit
Les Houches predoc school on 'Cold atoms and quantum transport' Homepage